Everything you need to know about UV protection
With sunshine blessing our days and Skin Cancer Awareness month being in full swing , we want to re-educate you on UV protection. If you have followed us for a while, you know that Dr. Maryam Zamani preaches SPF for everyday use – rain or shine! However, when the sun is actually more present, it is even more important to remind of the importance of wearing sun protection.
How do UV rays work?
UVB rays affect skin’s surface and cause sunburn. UVA rays penetrate deep into skin, causing a lot of damage. It is important to know that UVB rays are most intense between the hours of 10:00 AM and 04:00, whereas UVA rays are present all day long and silently damaging unprotected skin!
3 reasons you must wear SPF
- Prevent sunburn – not only can it be painful, but also damaging your skin in the long term. Wearing SPF daily will reduce the risk of skin damage and skin cancer.
- Reduce the signs of ageing – going outside without sunscreen contributes to the loss of collagen, which means you lose elasticity and therefore gain wrinkles.
- Prevent pigmentation – being exposed to UV rays can cause sunspots and pigmentation which also contributes to the look of ageing.
Mineral vs Chemical Sunscreen
Dr. Maryam Zamani explains the difference:
“Mineral sunscreen is a physical sunscreen consisting of active ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. A chemical sunscreen uses active ingredients to absorb the sun rays, turn them into heat, and then release the heat through the skin.”
- Absorbs into the skin
- Converts UV rays into heat
- Allows for skincare ingredients to be added easily
- Sits on top of the skin
- Reflects UVA & UVB rays
- Works immediately when applied
MZ Skin sunscreens are mineral & chemical combination sunscreens. Titanium dioxide is used as a physical sunscreen barrier to reflect UV rays from the skin for very high protection you can wear every day.